Friday 17 February 2012

Why do this?

I merge two passions.
On the one hand:
I want to raise funds for the Strachan Hartley Legacy Foundation: I believe what we do makes a difference in the lives of at risk children through sport and I want to insure we can do so far into the future as well as expand our reach.
On the other hand:
I am interested in activities that have a very high spiritual content; by spiritual I mean having to do with the sensory non cerebral part of me. Kayaking, canoeing or hiking in Canada’s vast wilderness provides this for me; that moment when I am no longer just a passer through but united with nature –an organism that is part as opposed to separate.  It is pure: an alignment of my spirit with my soul brought about by the physicality of my actions within a pristine, serene environment accentuating the sublime. I am in the “now".
 For me, this state is usually only achieved wherein everything has been my responsibility; from the planning, preparation, knowledge, outfitting, logistics, navigation, effort, skill, and perseverance .There can be no half measure; the results are dependent on me. Planning includes objective risk assessment: I am not in this to kill myself nor to put life in danger needlessly or recklessly.
The other requirement is for there to exist an edge between not only success and failure but between life and death as well. The edge constantly explores the depth of my character in a completely undiffused way. It is only then that I am powerful and in control of my soul: I am cool with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment